Fort Magruder Hotel & Conference Center
6945 Pocahontas Trail
Williamsburg VA 23185
Instructional time: 5-6:40 PM
Registration opens: 4:30 PM
Category: Regulatory Ethics
Instructor: Charles "Chuck" Overbey, Jr., CPA/PFS, CFP, CSEP
Bio: Charles “Chuck” Overbey, Jr., CPA/PFS, CFP®, CSEP, is president of Charles O. Overbey, Jr. CPA/PFS P.C. and has over 30 years of professional experience. He is a certified Quickbooks advisor (pro and enterprise editions) and a certified eFAACT advisor. He also holds Virginia licenses as a registered investment advisor representative and insurance agent.
Chuck was an adjunct faculty member at local colleges for approximately 15 years and has been a Virginia ethics course instructor for the VSCPA since the course’s inception. He earned a master’s degree from Radford University and bachelor’s degree from Virginia Tech University. He is a member of the AICPA’s personal financial planning section and the VSCPA.
Developed using the Virginia Board of Accountancy's (VBOA) "Virginia-Specific Ethics Course Outline 2014" as the course framework, VSCPA Ethics 2014 accomplishes the following fundamental objectives: Update CPAs on regulatory developments and provide guidance regarding the relevance of those laws, rules and regulations for their areas of interest and/or practice; Provoke thought and discussion among CPAs on the role and practical application of ethics within the profession.
This course challenges participants to apply ethics and relevant regulatory developments within their professional fields.
To this end, participants will:
- Review the VBOA's revised fee structure
- Examine the AICPA Professional Ethics Executive Committee's (PEEC) Revised and New Interpretations of Ethics Rulings
- Examine the AICPA Accounting & Review Services Committee's (ARSC) New Statements on Standards for Accounting and Review Services (SSARSs) regarding Association With Unaudited Financial Statements and Compilations of Financial Statements
- Understand documentation requirements and the resources available to assist with compliance (to those requirements)
Explore the VBOA's 2013 Top 10 Issues for Virginia:
- Work product: who owns the work papers?
- Licensure: Virginia requirements?
- Staying up to date: how to report CPE?
- Behavioral ethics: what's your ethical IQ?
- CPA designation: when to use it?
- Staying in touch: is the VBOA getting social?
- VBOA policies: what's new?
- Globalizing ethics: is the AICPA converging with IFAC?
- Trusting relationships: what are the CPA's fiduciary responsibilities?
- AICPA vs. Private Company Council: status of small and medium-sized entity reporting?
- Apply ethical reasoning using cases based on real-life ethical dilemmas
- Discuss the significance of ethics to the CPA profession especially with regard to the public interest
- Review recent VBOA enforcement cases and disciplinary actions
Course complies with the ethics requirements in Virginia, the District of Columbia and Maryland. Satisfies the 2014 VBOA ethics CPE requirement. Relevant to Virginia CPAs working in public practice, industry, government, not-for-profits and academe. Uses case-based instruction to consider relevant ethical dilemmas. Review of VBOA's revised fee structure. American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) Professional Ethics Executive Committee (PEEC) update. AICPA Accounting & Review Services Committee (ARSC) update. Review of documentation issues with a focus on AU-C Section 230, PRP Sections 4300 & 4400, SSARS No. 19, SSAE No. 11 and IRS Circular 230. Includes handouts of actual VBOA enforcement cases (relevant to current trends). Includes course materials which serve as reference resources.
Designed for: All Virginia CPAs
If you cancel in writing at least five business days before the program begins, you will be refunded your registration fee after a $20 administrative charge. Cancellations not received by the date required will not be eligible for a refund. If you cancel in writing at least 24 hours of the start of the program you may apply your registration fee to a future event for a $30 processing fee. No shows will not be refunded. Balances are due prior to the start of the event.